Author Topic: How to Retrofit projector into headlights. (del sol)  (Read 9970 times)

Offline B00M3R

• Forum VIP
    • Email
How to Retrofit projector into headlights. (del sol)
« on: February 24, 2010, 07:18:05 PM »
I wrote this a year ago when I finished my retrofit. Some of this has changed but the info is still good. Feel free to post up questions.

I was requested to post up a how too on retrofitting HID headlights so here it is.

This was my first retro, I read a lot and decided on OEM parts because of reliability.

Decided on going with TL projectors. I ended up getting them separately off eBay for $55 and $75. They regularly go for $200 to $250 for a pair.

Next went with Matsushita 3rd gen ballasts($170) with Philips 85122+ D2S bulbs (4300K) ($50).

first time I used my 2+year old ebay headlight and found that it was just too scratched up even after a good sanding and cleaning.
here is the first one, you can see all the cracks and scratches that made me decide on new ones.

So I ordered a new set of headlights in the Black color. ran me $120.  Here is a pic of the untouched headlight.

I then had to pull the headlight apart, it seems the new black ones don't use the same glue that heats up and becomes soft, the new ones use something more like JB weld. so I had to heat in the Oven for longer to make the plastic soft enough to pull away from the hard glue.

Then had to just pry things apart and was a little harder then the soft glue. Next I had to pull out the refection bowl and original bulb. In this case they popped right out. 
Next part was to make room in the bottom of the housings for the solenoid. I used a heat gun and melted the plastic.

Then I used pastic repair kit to fill in the holes and make it sealed again.

Then I needed to place the projectors into the housing and drill holes to hold them in place. also at this time I installed  ZKW-R Clear Lenses.

you can see the difference between the orginal lenses and clear ones here.
Original lenses

I used two Staleness steal bolts in the bottom two holes and made a metal brace that connected to the original adjustment screw.
I then installed Gatling gun shrouds to hide the projectors and give it a cleaner look. 
Here are the clear lenses.

Then I reassembled them sealing them back up.

Next comes the fun of installing them back into the car and aiming them. It's a little hard to find a good spot for the Ballasts close to the headlights.

Here is the money shot for HID retros's. the Cutoff.

any questions let me know.

Offline Eg2alex

• Event Planner
    • Email
Re: How to Retrofit projector into headlights. (del sol)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 07:31:27 PM »
How much u charge? Lol well  would u want to do this if I paid for parts and labor?

If you lean towards the hellgay fucked up offset bs, first mod should be a fs sign not bargain basement coilovers
86 2.0 si prelude-sold
94 cbr 600 RR-sold
91 crx hf-totalled
90 crx dx-stolen
90 civic dx hatch-sold AGAIN
90 b16 crx si-sold
94 integra rs-traded
95 delsol-curent
98 civic sedan lx-shared daily
91 crx si-long term project to one day even start..

Offline Ferris

• Next Level
  • Global Moderator
  • Boobs!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 08:12:22 PM »
My only question is how different are my projector lenses in my Teg that came stock vs OEM HID projector lenses. I know that there is a huge difference in the clean ness of light and cut off pattern, my question is why. Could I just get a different lens so I wouldn't need to do a full retrofit to get as clean of a look.

Great work here though Boomer.
Quote from: magilke441
Teachers are eazy, they cirkel what you get rong as far as speling and puntcuation errers.
Spell something rong on the internet, and may God help you're sole.
"While driving this morning I saw a banana peel in the road and instinctively swerved to avoid it...thanks Mario Kart."

Offline iden32

• Forum VIP
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 09:17:35 PM »
yea one question wanna do a subie :D lol
::02 Subaru wrx::

Offline B00M3R

• Forum VIP
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 09:26:14 PM »
How much u charge? Lol well  would u want to do this if I paid for parts and labor?

well in this version I didn't add up all the parts cost, but overall it cost me about $600 to make mine, then about 10 hours of work.
I studied how to make and what parts for about 2 years before I decided to try it.

My only question is how different are my projector lenses in my Teg that came stock vs OEM HID projector lenses. I know that there is a huge difference in the clean ness of light and cut off pattern, my question is why. Could I just get a different lens so I wouldn't need to do a full retrofit to get as clean of a look.

Great work here though Boomer.

I think you could find out the size of the projector lens, and replace it with a better one would make a difference. also you can do mods to the cut off to make it cleaner also. 

yea one question wanna do a subie :D lol

I wasn't meaning to get work out of posting a how too, but i am not against it ether. but as you can see its not cheep doing it OEM style.

Offline iden32

• Forum VIP
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 09:30:09 PM »
i am very interested in getting some for the subie :) the current cut off sucks a$$!!! lmk if u r down...

Offline B00M3R

• Forum VIP
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 10:04:08 PM »
i am very interested in getting some for the subie :) the current cut off sucks a$$!!! lmk if u r down...
got pics of the headlight you are looking to use?
also any idea what projector you want to use?

Offline iden32

• Forum VIP
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 09:33:05 AM »
Right now I am sportin the 02 bugeye I will pm u pix when I get home... And not really sure on the lenses

Offline Travis?

• Official Site Hillbilly and Really Nice Guy
  • Next Level
  • Chester Honda squads only member
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 09:35:50 AM »
i wanna retro fit these in my teg

but they are pricey :P

Offline peteyparker

• Everyone's Favorite Redneck
  • Forum VIP
  • McAsshole
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 09:41:56 AM »
Awesome write up BOOM3R!!!  Once I get all the parts I need ill let you know how mine turn out!

Offline S.P.Audio

• Vendor
  • One Deep
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 05:02:53 PM »
I say Sticky this.. it's about the same idea as far as how to do this in various makes and models. but this gives you a general idea on what to do..

nice a+++ write up!

Offline WuddaWaste

• Forum VIP
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 04:31:44 PM »
Agreed on the sticky.  Super agreed on the amazing write-up.   Thanks for taking the time, B00M3R!
I'm gonna show you 'colon usage' in a second if you keep that attitude up, young man!

Offline Ninja

• 19-second Drag Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • The Great CRX HOAX!
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 05:26:57 PM »
Didn't you use Bi-xenon bulbs for hi/lo?

"If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge."

-William Shakespeare

-Jerry

DO YOU NEED A UTAH HONDAS STICKER OR SHIRT? -------->Click Me!
CLICK TO BUY TURBO STUFF!
CLICK TO BUY MY RADIO

Offline B00M3R

• Forum VIP
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 06:14:51 PM »
Didn't you use Bi-xenon bulbs for hi/lo?

I did, and a wire harness that converts the high low from my column. works great.

Offline Walterpoova

• Trial
    • AsiaME.COM
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2019, 03:32:59 PM »
pertaining to Men on The Second Date

well, I must say who would have thought for your first date! If you here, you had a roaring appointment and you followed the first date tips for boys. i suppose. You made quite a control on her didn you? Well don get overly cocky regarding this, if you had a nice connection that doesn mean you don have to go on with the next steps. So plan the second date tips for boys. I continue to think that there no such thing as a textbook initial date or second date but over the learning process you can evolve in this relationship and it will be faster if you consider these guides:

Get closer to her. sure enough, Get closer old fashioned also, But also attempt to get to know her better, find what she likes, Discover issues you Asiame have in common. While you get to know her a greater number of have more physical touch also. See how she responds when you're taking her hand. This way you tell her body a upcoming kiss happens, And she begin to sense safe about it. Don be hard, Just keep being on your own. If she appreciates you, She assuredly want the kiss, But she gets to feel cozy first. Life is full of paradoxes so you can expect she kisses you even before you asiame.Com attempt or she rejects you when your lips get together. Try watching her and there shouldn be too many surprises.

find the best location. If the first date was in a normal commercial location, The second date should be more interactive. It best that you don take her to a film or theatre. Surprise is significant in preserving interest between you two so if the first appointment was more formal try to make the second date informal. Play a game collectively, Or go skating up. you might discover dozens of options. But be sure to have the decent comfortable surroundings also. A place to seat would be perfect to build that comfort level. Possibly you kiss her at last right there (if you don't kissed her on the first date. ahem, Ok this is going to be the foremost make out session then).

keep having fun. should you have fun the first date when you were both anxious and didn know each other at all, This time you should laughing out loud the whole time (right, Not very much, But you get the picture). Perhaps you won even her this time but you may easily have lots of fun.

One of the greatest second date advices is this: Try to plan the 3rd date right now when you having fun with her based on what you have in common. Do it with him or her, And if she accepts she likely thinking already you her future partner. And don overlook, in the second date goes well, You have to make a really foolish thing to lose her now. So the chances are on your side. But I confident you do just fine. use a nice second date.