Author Topic: DIY Ethanol Tester  (Read 12887 times)

Offline Integrals-t

• Forum Noob
    • Email
DIY Ethanol Tester
« on: March 15, 2012, 11:54:07 PM »
Updated with new standalone app, no need for excel.

Hope this is in the right spot. (if not feel free to move it)

Everyone running E85, as of June 2011 the minimun ethanol content of e85 was lowered to 51%. This means that a 51% ethanol content in e85 meets the regulations for e85. Everyone should be testing their mixes before filling up, making sure they have room in their tunes for this lower, or higher, depending on what mix your car was tuned on, ethanol content. Being tuned on E51 and then filling up with E85 will most likely leave you with hole in your wallet.... or your piston...

In light of this information I decided to do a write up on how to make your own Ethanol Tester from stuff you can buy at most stores, and explain how to use it. I wrote the little excel Ethanol Content file myself, so if there are any bugs, thats why, lol. This is my first attempt at a DIY or a write up so if it sucks... thats why.

What you need....
1. Baby bottle (with graduations - lines that measure whats inside. Get one with the smallest graduations you can find, makes it easier to get readings later.)
2. Rubber Glove (could be optional)
3. Ethanol Content app (100% optional, use this if you dont want to do the math)
File is a stand alone app,
for windows
for mac osx

What you do.....

Step 1. (if not using the app skip to step two and ignore the part where you are entering info into the program)

Open the app

Step 2.

Now you are ready to use your baby bottle. (If you have a baby at home, it may be a good idea to mark your bottle as do not Drink this had bad stuff in it.)

Take your empty Baby bottle and add water to one of the lines on the side (units will not matter here just be sure to be consistant with the units you choose)

Enter the number of oz or ml or whatever units you use into the water reading in the program. I used the UK fl-oz units from my bottle.

Step 3

Add fuel up to another marked line on your bottle. (I over shot by a hair)

Enter this reading into the water + fuel reading in the program.

Step 4

Put the rubber glove across the top of your bottle and screw your lid on. Shake the bottle up then place on a flat level surface and let sit for a few min.

Step 5

The water and ethanol will mix and the "gas" will float on the top of the water. Look for this line of separation. (using white or colored paper behind the bottle can help you see the line)

Enter this reading into the Separation Reading in the program.

Step 6

Now click the Calculate button and you will get a % Ethanol reading in the green box.

I was using old e98 from last year that has been in my gas can all winter, so your bottle might look different than mine. I also should have used the ml units as they are closer together and may have been a little easier to judge on the separation line.

(or if you are not using the program now you get to do math. Take the quantity of the separation reading minus the water reading divided by the quantity of the water + fuel reading minus the water reading.)

Good luck with your Ethanol adventures. And feedback is always appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 04:38:26 PM by Integrals-t »

Photo by xxxfattonyxxx
Neptune tuner and dealer.

Now that we've grown into one of the largest groups of enthusiasts in the world, we've let ourselves turn into the mustang-driving douche-bags we hated so much

Offline runsnines

• CG Racing
  • Vendor
    • Email
Re: DIY Ethanol Tester
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 08:08:52 AM »
We have 70% year round. I check it all the time.  Just purchase the quickfuel tester.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/QFT-36-E85/

Offline Integrals-t

• Forum Noob
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 08:35:23 AM »
I have a quick tester style as well, but wanted something with a larger opening so I dont spill all over, and something that I could just run out an buy without waiting. Plus who doesn't want a baby bottel in their tool box.

Photo by xxxfattonyxxx

Now that we've grown into one of the largest groups of enthusiasts in the world, we've let ourselves turn into the mustang-driving douche-bags we hated so much

Offline Integrals-t

• Forum Noob
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 05:30:20 PM »
So I tested some fresh e85 from conrad and bischoff today, 3-19-12, here in Idaho Falls. Here is a pic showing the separation, and the program showing what it tests at.

Photo by xxxfattonyxxx

Offline powerneedy

• Forum Regular
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 12:47:26 PM »
Don't act like you know what your talking about LOL ;)

Nice write up btw!

Offline HeikDiesel

• Forum Regular
  • UMAD BRO?
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:56:11 AM »
Just a heads up this program doesn't work anymore.  Keeps giving me an error that "water+fuel reading cannot be smaller than water alone" when it's not.
1992 Civic SIR-S
www.fixatedfasteners.com

Offline Integrals-t

• Forum Noob
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 11:19:13 AM »
For some reason it is picky about blank spaces before the number, I never fixed it because I didn't think anyone was using it. I will put together a new program that does the same thing without that issue. For now, if you run the program and put your numbers in without deleting any blank spaces that are in the boxes to begin with it usually works. Ill upload here with a new program in a day or two.

Photo by xxxfattonyxxx

Offline HeikDiesel

• Forum Regular
  • UMAD BRO?
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 02:44:24 PM »
I was just using it to test my math.  After adding spaces here and there I got it to work.  Thanks
1992 Civic SIR-S
www.fixatedfasteners.com

Offline Integrals-t

• Forum Noob
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 04:32:49 PM »
Well here is a stand alone app,
for windows
for mac osx

Does the same thing as the program above, may have little bugs, I didn't find any yet but who knows.

Updated the first post with the new app

Photo by xxxfattonyxxx