Author Topic: down pipe and other stuff  (Read 1943 times)

Offline pants

• Trial
down pipe and other stuff
« on: October 25, 2013, 11:16:34 AM »
Ok, little into about me and my situation. Im a noob to tuner cars so have patience with me if I use wrong terminology, ask dumb questions, or whatever. Im tech savvy, have worked at various shops and dealerships as a boat mechanic and a motorcycle mechanic,  haven't dabbled in car tuning much. I have a 98 accord 2.3L coupe, and Im trying to turbo it just a little bit. I want to avoid emissions annoyances, and I also want to keep my gas mileage up, and keep my a/c. I have already purchased everything except a down pipe, and fuel management stuff.
Where can I get a down pipe built? I would like a few different options to pick from. Next, can anyone teach me how to safely put this together to achieve the most gain without needing to replace my ecu? Ive been told that if I keep the boost low, like around 7 or less that I can just add a fuel regulator and FMU, and not need to replace the ecu. I dont have a clue. The guy I bought a bunch of my stuff from said he did the same thing to his accord and it safely gave him a little bit more power. Unfortunately I lost his number and he's from out of state anyway. You geniuses out here have some ideas of what to do next Im sure.

Offline unified11

• Can't Blend Paint
  • Forum VIP
  • Blend Mixer 2000...It's like a painter, but faster
Re: down pipe and other stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 02:56:04 PM »
"and I'm trying to turbo it a little bit"

lol.. Not to be a prick but, no matter how 'little' boost you're wanting to run.. Turbo is turbo.   Do it RIGHT the first time or else all you're doing is wasting time, money and the longevity of your motor.

As far as keeping AC, that is almost completely dependent on what turbo manifold you're using and how you route all your intercooler and turbo piping. 

What manifold do you currently have?

What turbo do you have?

If you've never worked on a turbocharger system, I can not stress enough the fact that you need to have someone who is experienced build and tune your setup.    It's not just about being able to throw some bolts in and torque them down...  Being a mechanic I know you'l want to do as much as possible by yourself.. But again, if you have to post here on UH for help, you're probably not the best candidate for building this setup.

What mileage is on your motor?  If its high mileage, you're virtually guaranteed that this will be the end of your motors life in the not-too-distant future.

As far as tuning.. Don't run a hack fuel system or piggy-back control system.   It's one of those things that need to be dialed in.. every aspect looked at and taken into consideration.  Dyno tuning is a basic necessity.

There are plenty of Vendors on this site that can get you taken care of will all of these needs... CG Racing (who is prettymuch the best tuner around), Nip-N-Tuck Performance, Innovative Garage.. etc.  Give the Vendors section a peek.
Go to Royal Repairs! Hands down, I would never evvvverrr go anywhere else under any circumstance for auto body repairs, buffing, waxing or anything along those lines.  ......the best of it all is they are some down to earth, extremely honest, fair priced, high quality providin' badass mother effers!  ;)

What the fuck are you saying. None of your posts make any god damn sense.

Offline ricehonda

• Forum OG
  • MMT
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 06:26:18 PM »
Take the time and money wasted and put it into a real chip on your ecu. A basemap tune is not that expensive and way better than those FMU's. I think that its honestly not that hard to do the kit yourself. Try it out for yourself and if everthing goes horribly then you can take it up to courtney or jerom at element racing and they can help you out but honestly I feel like the kit itself is not anything too hard to do.
usdm as fuck

Offline DX_JDM_HATCH

• Forum VIP
  • Old Guy Car Club
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 08:24:25 PM »
I'm going to throw my .02 in and take it for what it's worth.  Unified11 is right.  It's not as simple as torqing down some bolts.  Anyone with half a brain can do that.  If you want it to run right and most of LAST there is some planning and thought that needs to go into what you're doing.  Just like Unified11 said not trying to be a prick here but if you go in it with the attitude that you can just throw this together put a hacked together managment system in and if it doesn't work I'll just call Jarom or Cortney then you better just make that call now.

Remember you're trying to do something to a car that wansn't meant to be done.  You mentioned you're not looking for alot of power but that doens't mean you shouldn't do it right.  You're a mechanic I'm sure you've been frustrated with jobs where the owner cut corners no prior planning and expected you to fix their nightmares.  Try not to be that person.

Post a list of the parts you currently have or plan on running and memebers here can tell you if it's going to work or not.
Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold
              ~Bob Marley

If there is no Enemy within, the Enemy outside can do us no Harm
              ~African Proverb

Build Thread - http://www.utahhondas.net/index.php/topic,40524.0.html

Offline ricehonda

• Forum OG
  • MMT
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 07:31:31 AM »
Definitely have A plan. I worked up parts for my build for nine months before i started doing anything. Keep your first build simple. Dont think too much about it.
usdm as fuck

Offline DX_JDM_HATCH

• Forum VIP
  • Old Guy Car Club
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 08:46:59 AM »
Definitely have A plan. I worked up parts for my build for nine months before i started doing anything. Keep your first build simple. Dont think too much about it.

I agree with keeping it simple but I don't agree with the statement "Don't think to much about it".  Yes you can over think things but do your research read and find out what works and what doesn't work.  I promise you every type of build good or bad has been done and has been posted somewhere.  How long it take to put together doesn't matter, knowledge matters.
              ~Bob Marley

~African Proverb

Offline pants

• Trial
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 10:02:16 AM »
thanks for all the responses. I'm going to be doing a lot more research.so about down type can anybody direct me to where I can go to get some built?

Offline unified11

• Can't Blend Paint
  • Forum VIP
  • Blend Mixer 2000...It's like a painter, but faster
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 10:39:07 AM »
There are plenty of Vendors on this site that can get you taken care of will all of these needs... CG Racing (who is prettymuch the best tuner around), Nip-N-Tuck Performance, Innovative Garage.. etc.  Give the Vendors section a peek.
Go to Royal Repairs! Hands down, I would never evvvverrr go anywhere else under any circumstance for auto body repairs, buffing, waxing or anything along those lines.  ......the best of it all is they are some down to earth, extremely honest, fair priced, high quality providin' badass mother effers!  ;)

What the fuck are you saying. None of your posts make any god damn sense.

Offline DX_JDM_HATCH

• Forum VIP
  • Old Guy Car Club
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 11:36:49 AM »
thanks for all the responses. I'm going to be doing a lot more research.so about down type can anybody direct me to where I can go to get some built?

Cortney Green (CGRacing) built mine.  Did a great job.
              ~Bob Marley

~African Proverb

Offline Mcarr1031

• Forum Member
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 06:35:22 PM »
X2 Cortney did mine and it came out great!!!! CG Racing for sure....

Offline pants

• Trial
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 07:01:49 PM »
Courtney it is then. I will go to Courtney.