Author Topic: Change radiator fluid...car won't start now and has a frozen crank...  (Read 2187 times)

Offline pumpkyn

• Forum Regular
    • Email
D16Y8
block rebuilt and running for 40 minutes total. 0 miles.

I am replacing the distilled water in the engine, changing it out and putting coolant in since it will be freezing here this week.

Start the car, perfectly fine and let the engine run for a minutes while I move the car to the spot where I was going to change the fluid. Turn the car off, pop the hood, take off the radiator cap, take off the intake filter, and take off the lower hose to drain the water. Normal procedure.

I replace the radiator hose, and fill it with coolant. I put the intake filter back on and attempt to start the car. Car is in Neutral. Cranks, but no start for 10 seconds. Ok...lets try that again. Same result. Right...one more time. crank crank crank clunk! wtf? Wont attempt to start and sounds like the starter is jammed.

I push the car onto ramps to check this out. I take out the spark plugs and there is some fuel in the pistons maybe about a mm deep. Check spark, yup. Right, I'll crank the fuel out. Disconnect the injectors. Nevermind, crank is frozen at TDC in cylinder #1. Right, damn you starter for being jammed; I'll turn it by hand. Take the starter out, okay its not engaged. Wire test it and spins normal out of the car.

So with the starter out and spark plugs out, this has to spin freely now. So I bust out the equipment and attempt to rotate the crank with a ol' rachet/socket. Nope still frozen. Let me try reversing the rotation. Rotates freely to TDC on Cylinder 2, then freezes again. Right, let's turn it forward again, slams stop at TDC in 1 again. This time it stays there. I attempt to rotate it again and I actually loosen the crank bolt.

I check the transmission again, yup it's in neutral. Check the oil, yup it is full. Check the timing again, yup all the marks line up. Now I am stumped. How does a car go from running fine and no odd engine sounds at all to a no start, and now a frozen crank, all after changing out radiator fluid.

I personally think that some how some way something made its way into the engine in the 2 minutes it took to drain and fill the radiator. Still doesn't explain how the car ran fine, then the assembly would only rotate from TDC to TDC, and is now frozen. For the first time in my mechanical experience I am stumped.
2004 PSM WRX 4EAT - Stage 2 OS - January 2009 SLCSubaru.com ROTM - www.flickr.com/flapatax
1997 EK - Being Resurrected
I'm not hating, I'm just being a realist.

Offline projEKtjokes

• Forum VIP
    • Email
Re: Change radiator fluid...car won't start now and has a frozen crank...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 10:23:38 AM »
What an odd scenario, youve def got something jammed in there if you heard a "clunk". My suggestion would be to pull of the inspection cover plate for the transmission and see if anything lodged itself in the way of the torque converter. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to pull off the oil pan to see if something came loose on the bottom end, had something similar happen only to find out a rod bearing spun free and locked up the crank. Good luck!

Offline UtahTurboSOHC

• Forum OG
  • FIAARR!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
Oem rebuild? Wonder if it hydro locked and bent a rod enough that it won't let the rotating assembly, rotate.
D16z6. GoldenEagle. Precision Turbo. AFI Turbo. CG Racing. Hondata.
632hp 413ftlbs tq.
10.68@137 down the 1320'

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Benjamin Franklin, Feb. 17, 1775.

Offline unified11

• Can't Blend Paint
  • Forum VIP
  • Blend Mixer 2000...It's like a painter, but faster
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 08:02:55 AM »
Why was the intake filter taken off to drain the rad?  Just to avoid coolant getting on the filter?

Just curious if something could have gotten in the intake pipe.
Go to Royal Repairs! Hands down, I would never evvvverrr go anywhere else under any circumstance for auto body repairs, buffing, waxing or anything along those lines.  ......the best of it all is they are some down to earth, extremely honest, fair priced, high quality providin' badass mother effers!  ;)

What the fuck are you saying. None of your posts make any god damn sense.

Offline pumpkyn

• Forum Regular
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 05:02:05 PM »
Still havent taken the time to look at it as it is way too cold.

Coworker here at RSD thinks possible cracked valve retainer and a valve dropped. I will look at that later.

OEM rebuild, the Honda starter should not create enough torque to cause a bent rod from being hydrolocked. But maybe it was a factory freak and is actually stronger than the motor.

I took off the filter so I could stick my large arms down to take off the lower radiator clamp without laying down. Before I put the coolant in, I made sure to put the filter back on.
2004 PSM WRX 4EAT - Stage 2 OS - January 2009 SLCSubaru.com ROTM - www.flickr.com/flapatax

Offline unified11

• Can't Blend Paint
  • Forum VIP
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 06:23:22 PM »
Ahhh okay then... Just checking.

Effing weird.. do keep us informed!
Go to Royal Repairs! Hands down, I would never evvvverrr go anywhere else under any circumstance for auto body repairs, buffing, waxing or anything along those lines.  ......the best of it all is they are some down to earth, extremely honest, fair priced, high quality providin' badass mother effers!  ;)

Offline 95INTEGRAslpr

• Forum Regular
  • 8URV8
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 04:59:12 AM »
You might want to check your timing belt too that might be the problem if it snapped! mine broke leaving my driveway about a year ago in my b18 and locked up the motor I couldn't turn mine over either when it happened.
Laketown imports!
Dc2 lover!

Offline teggy85

• Trial
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 09:18:32 PM »
Any luck man?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Offline pumpkyn

• Forum Regular
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 11:52:59 AM »
Finally got around to glancing at it. From pulling the valve cover off (yes took me months to build up the motivation to do so), there were no dropped valves. Crank still frozen. Now thinking a possible loose bolt from the bell housing jamming the rotation. Can't possibly think how anything in the crank assembly could go so wrong so fast, especially on a fresh rebuild. But I will check that now too. Going to pull the motor again and disassemble it again. Let see how long until I get motivation for that LOL

Offline unified11

• Can't Blend Paint
  • Forum VIP
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 10:41:42 PM »
Might be able to pull the pan and windage tray and take a peek  before pulling the motor.

Such a puzzler..

Offline ricehonda

• Forum OG
  • MMT
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 09:13:20 AM »
Damn the suspense on this is killing me yes drop the pan before you pull anything and take a look!!!! Keep us posted please!!!
usdm as fuck