Author Topic: oil pressure switch  (Read 2087 times)

Offline wolfsbain

• Forum VIP
    • Email
oil pressure switch
« on: April 07, 2014, 09:35:47 PM »
I'm looking at installing an oil pressure gauge in my 92 civic. I am curious if I need to retain my factory oil pressure switch, and if it needs to be there for vtec to work properly.  Thanks for the help ahead of time

Offline unified11

• Can't Blend Paint
  • Forum VIP
  • Blend Mixer 2000...It's like a painter, but faster
Re: oil pressure switch
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 07:39:56 AM »
No you don't need it.

Everything for VTEC to work is on the solenoid itself.

The pressure switch in the back of the block simply turns on the oil light in the dashboard.  The general concensus is that they are relatively inaccurate anyway.  If you pull that out and run your oil line from there, the only "downside" is that the oil light in the cluster won't work.

I personally decided to do exactly that, and have no issues.  Just be sure to run a nice steel braided line (Evco).  Don't use the nylon line that comes with most gauges.
Go to Royal Repairs! Hands down, I would never evvvverrr go anywhere else under any circumstance for auto body repairs, buffing, waxing or anything along those lines.  ......the best of it all is they are some down to earth, extremely honest, fair priced, high quality providin' badass mother effers!  ;)

What the fuck are you saying. None of your posts make any god damn sense.

Offline wolfsbain

• Forum VIP
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 08:50:32 AM »
I picked up an electronic gauge but thanks for the help. The nylon lines scare me. I would always be worried it's gonna blow

Offline Ninja

• 19-second Drag Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • The Great CRX HOAX!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 01:28:42 PM »
No you don't need it.

Everything for VTEC to work is on the solenoid itself.

The pressure switch in the back of the block simply turns on the oil light in the dashboard.  The general concensus is that they are relatively inaccurate anyway.  If you pull that out and run your oil line from there, the only "downside" is that the oil light in the cluster won't work.

I personally decided to do exactly that, and have no issues.  Just be sure to run a nice steel braided line (Evco).  Don't use the nylon line that comes with most gauges.

samething I did...I have a defi electornic gauge in my CRX.  The factory pressure light only comes on when it's around 5PSI IIRC.

"If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge."

-William Shakespeare

-Jerry

DO YOU NEED A UTAH HONDAS STICKER OR SHIRT? -------->Click Me!
CLICK TO BUY TURBO STUFF!
CLICK TO BUY MY RADIO

Offline DX_JDM_HATCH

• Forum VIP
  • Old Guy Car Club
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 01:38:54 PM »
I just installed the AEM Oil Pressure gauge over the weekend.  I ran it off my sandwich plate.  Installed very easily and seems to be working fine. I have to do some research on what it should be reading at idle and under load.
Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold
              ~Bob Marley

If there is no Enemy within, the Enemy outside can do us no Harm
              ~African Proverb

Build Thread - http://www.utahhondas.net/index.php/topic,40524.0.html

Offline Ninja

• 19-second Drag Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • The Great CRX HOAX!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 02:25:57 PM »
I just installed the AEM Oil Pressure gauge over the weekend.  I ran it off my sandwich plate.  Installed very easily and seems to be working fine. I have to do some research on what it should be reading at idle and under load.

20-25 at idle, 65-85 under a load.

it should hit about 85psi then drop back down as you go into the high RPM's too.

"If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge."

-William Shakespeare

-Jerry

DO YOU NEED A UTAH HONDAS STICKER OR SHIRT? -------->Click Me!
CLICK TO BUY TURBO STUFF!
CLICK TO BUY MY RADIO

Offline DX_JDM_HATCH

• Forum VIP
  • Old Guy Car Club
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 02:44:08 PM »
20-25 at idle, 65-85 under a load.

it should hit about 85psi then drop back down as you go into the high RPM's too.

Okay so mine is extremely higher than that especially at WOT. Looks like I need to do some more research to figure out why it's so high. I believe oil, brand of oil filter can affect this I just need to figure it out.
              ~Bob Marley

~African Proverb

Offline 95INTEGRAslpr

• Forum Regular
  • 8URV8
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 02:54:42 PM »
That is corect and also depending how long its been since your last oil change that can also effect the pressure you see. if you are using a plate I woulnt recommend using that for a oil pressure guage. that is coming right off the pump and doesnt travel through the motor to indicate if there is a blockage in the internal oil valleys, dont get me wrong it works but I would use the oe oil sensor port or if you can figure out how have a oil pressure guage installed in the head that way you know the head is getting oil not just pressure from the pump itself.
Laketown imports!
Dc2 lover!

Offline DX_JDM_HATCH

• Forum VIP
  • Old Guy Car Club
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 03:03:06 PM »
That is corect and also depending how long its been since your last oil change that can also effect the pressure you see. if you are using a plate I woulnt recommend using that for a oil pressure guage. that is coming right off the pump and doesnt travel through the motor to indicate if there is a blockage in the internal oil valleys, dont get me wrong it works but I would use the oe oil sensor port or if you can figure out how have a oil pressure guage installed in the head that way you know the head is getting oil not just pressure from the pump itself.

I OCD about oil changes.  To me it's a very cheap maintenance thing. So I don't go more than 1500-2000 miles MAX before I change the oil and the oil filter is change every other oil change.  I do run a K&N filter and I think I've read that can cause higher pressures. I will look into moving the pressure sensor. I was told it's fine where it is.
              ~Bob Marley

~African Proverb

Offline 95INTEGRAslpr

• Forum Regular
  • 8URV8
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 03:15:08 PM »
That was just a in my opinion post. if it works, awsome!  I would just be cautious.
Laketown imports!
Dc2 lover!

Offline DX_JDM_HATCH

• Forum VIP
  • Old Guy Car Club
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 03:22:37 PM »
That was just a in my opinion post. if it works, awsome!  I would just be cautious.

That's perfectly fine.  I appreciate the info.

Wolfsbain sorry to hijack your thread.
              ~Bob Marley

~African Proverb

Offline 95INTEGRAslpr

• Forum Regular
  • 8URV8
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 03:34:33 PM »
I second that sorry man... hope our rambleing helps your cause.
Laketown imports!
Dc2 lover!

Offline wolfsbain

• Forum VIP
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 05:56:36 PM »
It's cool. I found that I don't need the om sensor so I'm gonna install the new sensor in the om position and enjoy knowing where my oil pressure is