Author Topic: catalytic converter turns hot and glowing red  (Read 1331 times)

Offline hondachick2082

• Trial
    • Email
catalytic converter turns hot and glowing red
« on: November 04, 2014, 07:27:22 PM »
I need help. I have a 95 accord with an h22a4 in it and it's been running like crap. I been trying to figure out what the problem is for a couple month now, been switching out parts but it doesn't seem to be getting better. Two days ago I changed out the fuel pump and relay and I realized that the cat has come off the muffler pipe. I put it back together and sealed it back up. Today I had to pull over cause it made a loud pop  noise coming from under the car, I looked under the car and I saw that the cat was glowing bright red. What would cause it to red that hot. I would really appreciate any help, it's been driving me crazy and I'm about to give up on it.

Offline marcuskars

• Forum Noob
    • Email
catalytic converter turns hot and glowing red
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 07:12:43 PM »
Sounds like your cat is plugged up. I would suggest replacing it with oem quality part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hondachick2082

• Trial
    • Email
Re: catalytic converter turns hot and glowing red
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 05:15:15 AM »
I just did that and it's still doing it. Does it matter which way the cat is put on, is there a front and back? I never thought it mattered which way it's put on.

Offline Mr Talon

• Forum VIP
    • Email
Re: catalytic converter turns hot and glowing red
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 10:41:51 PM »
Some cats will have a flow arrow on them. Bad tune up parts is a cat killer. If you look at your converter now is it a purple color?
77 Chevy Shortbed
90 AWD-TSI------03 Evo-8------92 Celica GT           
90 Jeep XJ---------93 Jeep XJ
Extremepsi.com
Maperformance.com
Streettunedmotorsports.com